Snow storm makes for good skiing at Hermon Mountain | News
HERMON, Maine (NEWS CENTER) --- Thursday's snowy weather caused rough traveling for many but for avid skiers in Maine it was greeted as a good thing.
Several skiers decided to hit the slopes on Hermon Mountain in Hermon. The mountain opened for the winter ski season in mid December.
Staff there say they do not depend on fresh snow each year. They use snow guns to always keep the slopes covered. However they added that it does take fresh snow coming from the sky to convince many skiers to come out.
Several people said they couldn't wait to get out and have some fun on the slopes.
"It's fun..adrenaline...short adrenaline rush," said Austin Burgoyne of Carmel who was enjoying his time off from school.
"Ya just can't help but have fun out here and we've got a great bunch of people," remarked George Giffin of Newburgh, who is a ski instructor at the mountain, "you're not going to see many people who aren't smiling...especially when we get fresh snow like this."
The snow came as good thing for Hermon Mountain. Staff there says this is their second biggest week for doing business during the year. That comes second only to school vacation week in February.
Top Bangor Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Mattawamkeag suspends fire chief over possible misuse of funds
- Chicken Stew and Ployes Dinner in Honor of Our Veterans
- Compassionate Communication Panel Discussion To Be Held At Mayo Regional Hospital Resource Center
- East Millinocket school board narrowly approves bond vote for high school
- 8 Miles Apart: A Look Inside School Consolidation for the Katahdin Region
- Maine Sports Hall of Fame to induct Skowhegan field hockey coach
- Raymond native induced to US skiing Hall of Fame
- Budget Cuts Slash Senior Center Hours of Operation
- University of Maine at Farmington Features Reading by Maine Author Monica Wood, April 11
- Somerset County feuds with state over payment for jail