World War II vet shares his experience from overseas | News
BREWER, Maine (NEWS CENTER)-- Veterans Day is this Sunday, but students and staff at Brewer High School celebrated the holiday a little early.
The high school hosted veterans from all of the different military branches to have some breakfast and be recognized by the school.
One of those veterans was World War II veteran Alton Grant. Grant was deployed in the Pacific and he said he likes to come to events to share his experience from World War II.
"We went to Okinawa, and the battle of Okinawa was on at the time. I made three hot landings on Okinawa. A lot of people don't know that. But it was the original landing and two landings on the Oroku Peninsula. Okinawa was a bad battle," Grant said.
Grant said he returned home from the war in 1947.
Top Bangor Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Mattawamkeag suspends fire chief over possible misuse of funds
- Chicken Stew and Ployes Dinner in Honor of Our Veterans
- Compassionate Communication Panel Discussion To Be Held At Mayo Regional Hospital Resource Center
- East Millinocket school board narrowly approves bond vote for high school
- 8 Miles Apart: A Look Inside School Consolidation for the Katahdin Region
- Maine Sports Hall of Fame to induct Skowhegan field hockey coach
- Raymond native induced to US skiing Hall of Fame
- Budget Cuts Slash Senior Center Hours of Operation
- University of Maine at Farmington Features Reading by Maine Author Monica Wood, April 11
- Somerset County feuds with state over payment for jail