Learning life lesson through baseball | News
ORONO, Maine (NEWS CENTER)-- Kids from all across the state were at UMaine Saturday to learn how to play baseball and learn some life lessons in the process.
Kids were on campus for the Badges for Baseball event. Kids were able to learn the fundamentals of the game like hitting and fielding. After they got done playing ball, they took a tour of the campus.
UMaine Baseball Head Coach Steve Trimper said Saturday's event was more about teaching kids discipline and life skills to help bring them future success than teaching them how to play baseball.
"I just hope first and foremost they have fun and see that going to college at whatever level it is, it's very obtainable, it's a special time of your life. It's probably the first adult decision kids have to make in their life,"
Besides playing baseball and touring UMaine, kids also met different law enforcement officers to learn what their job is like. This was the second year of Badges for Baseball and there will likely be more to come.
Top Bangor Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Mattawamkeag suspends fire chief over possible misuse of funds
- Chicken Stew and Ployes Dinner in Honor of Our Veterans
- Compassionate Communication Panel Discussion To Be Held At Mayo Regional Hospital Resource Center
- East Millinocket school board narrowly approves bond vote for high school
- 8 Miles Apart: A Look Inside School Consolidation for the Katahdin Region