Toddler recovering from rare illness | News
BANGOR, Maine (NEWS CENTER)-- Last week 23 month old Hailey Mello was fighting a rare form of strep throat called Group A Streptococcus that nearly took her life.
Hailey's mom, Melody Mansir said Hailey's condition is improving. She is now in stable condition and is awake and alert at Eastern Maine Medical Center.
Mansir said Hailey will have part of her right leg amputated on Tuesday, and she will eventually come home from the hospital.
Mansir said last week was a difficult week and she would like thank everyone who helped out her family during a difficult time.
"We just appreciate everything. We just wanna let everybody know that. We've had a lot of anonymous people just coming in the hospital and leaving money. That's unbelievable, you know everybody has been going through hard times and it's just amazing that people, they help people when they're down and out," Mansir said.
Last week Anglers restaurants held a benefit to help Hailey's family. According to Anglers restaurant Facebook page, the event raised around $4,500 dollars.
Upcoming Events near Bangor
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Belfast man reaches plea deal for murder charge
- We asked...you didn't disappoint! Have you tackled any Pinterest inspired projects lately?
- C&L Aerospace officially opens in Bangor
- Remembering Bangor police chief Don Winslow
- Combat Wounded Veteran works to help veterans and their families with reintegration.