Cutler's Little River Lighthouse to host Open House on July 21 | Community Spirit
Boats will depart from the Cutler Town Boat Landing to take visitors to the 15-acre island where they will be able to tour the restored Little River Light keeper’s house, climb the tower, hike the trails, and enjoy sea songs performed by local musicians.
In 1996, the 1847 historic lighthouse, which is now on the National Register of Historic Places, was listed by Maine Preservation as one of Maine’s Ten Most Endangered Historic Properties and it was also on the Lighthouse Digest Doomsday List of Endangered American Lighthouses. In 2002, the Little River Lighthouse was the first lighthouse in New England to have its ownership transferred to a non profit group under the National Historic Lighthouse Preservation Act.
Visitors to the lighthouse should be prepared to possibly get their feet wet while getting on and off the boats. Small children will be required to have their own life jackets. There is a short hike from the dock at the island to the lighthouse. A section of the board walk to the lighthouse has a slight incline that can be strenuous for some people.
There will be refreshments available on the island and souvenir items will be available for purchase to help raise money to paint the tower and ongoing care of the lighthouse.
Little River Lighthouse is under the care of the Friends of Little River Lighthouse, which is a chapter of the American Lighthouse Foundation, the organization that owns the island and the lighthouse. The lighthouse currently has a full-time on-site volunteer-caretaker and the former light keeper’s house is now available to rent for overnight stays. For more information you can visit their web site at www.LittleRiverLight.org or call them at 207-259-3833.