The Age of Miracles | Arts & Culture
I like post-apocalyptic fiction. At least in theory.
Karen Thompson Walker's debut novel is The Age of Miracles, in which the Earth’s rotation slows down... a lot. Little do we realize that all life is dependent on that consistent 24-hour day. At 26 hours it’s disruptive but not awful; at 46 hours, it’s quite a lot worse. When the day is 60 hours long… and longer… it is toxic to all life on Earth. The unrelenting daylight is toxic, and so is the darkness.
Top Bangor Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Mattawamkeag suspends fire chief over possible misuse of funds
- Chicken Stew and Ployes Dinner in Honor of Our Veterans
- Compassionate Communication Panel Discussion To Be Held At Mayo Regional Hospital Resource Center
- East Millinocket school board narrowly approves bond vote for high school
- 8 Miles Apart: A Look Inside School Consolidation for the Katahdin Region
- Maine Sports Hall of Fame to induct Skowhegan field hockey coach
- Raymond native induced to US skiing Hall of Fame
- Budget Cuts Slash Senior Center Hours of Operation
- University of Maine at Farmington Features Reading by Maine Author Monica Wood, April 11
- Somerset County feuds with state over payment for jail